FAQ - About CATARACTCataract is the leading cause of decreased vision and blindness in our country. Commoner than the condition are the various misconceptions about cataract and its treatment.
WHAT IS CATARACT?
A cataract is coluding of the eye’s natural lens. It is natural process of ageing. Every person gets it sooner or later. It impairs focussing of light on the retina and hence blurs vision.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF CATARACT?
Factors other than ageing may cause cataract as well. Cataract sometimes occurs relatively early in life due to factors such as injury, excessive sunlight, toxic chemicals, changes in the body metabolism, drugs or secondary to other eye diseases, such as glaucoma and inflammations. There can also be hereditary predisposition to earlier occurrence of cataracts.
HOW CATARACT AFFECTS YOUR LIFE STYLE?
People with cataract, even when wearing glasses,typically have difficulty in
- During at night
- Recognizing colours
- Seeing in distance or reading
- Need frequent changes in their glass prescription
TREATMENT OF CATARACT
- There are no medicines with proven efficacy to prevent or to treat cataract.
- The only effective treatment is surgical removal of cataract.
- Diabetes, hypertension and other general health problems are not a contraindication for cataract surgery for cataract surgery.
- The cataract need not mature for its surgical removal
WHEN TO TREAT
The decision to treat a cataract is reached by the eye care paractioner and the patient together. This decision is based on the degree to which the cataract is impairing vision and the effect of the impairment on the patient’s quality of life.
WHAT IS THE RECOMMENED TREATMENT FOR CATARACT?
There is no other treatment for cataract except surgery.
There are two treatment options available for cataract. Both of them are done as an out patient procedure.
a)Extrac capsular cataract extraction (ECCE) or conventional method.
b)Phaco emulsification (Modern method)
ECCE ( Conventional method)
-Requires an incision of 8-10mm
-The surgeon removes the clouded lens in one piece.
-A hard rigid lens is implanted.
-Stitches are required.
-Increased risk of post operative distorted vision and complications.
Today’s cataract surgery is marvel of medical technology.
- It is the latest and most sophisticated method of removing a cataract.
- In the surgical procedure, the clouded cataractous lens is extracted by fragmenting it into tiny pieces with ultrasound energy and aspirated out with a suction device.
- Cataract is removed through a small self sealing wound.
- There are no sutures applied on the eye.
WHY PHACO EMULSIFICATION?
Reasons to go for Phaco emulsification
- Stitch less.
- Blood less.
- Pain less.
- Shorter over all duration of surgery.
- More controlled surgery.
- Early rehabilitation.
- Less post operative discomfort.
- Less induced astigmatism.
- Minimum post operative restrictions.
- Perfect early restoration of vision.
- More satisfied patient and surgeon.
WHO ARE THE CANDIDATES FOR PHACO EMULSIFICATION
Phaco emulsification can be done in any situations except in some very advanced hard cataracts.
Sooner the better
Consult your doctor if you are above 40 years and have the following symptoms
1) Blurring or dimness of vision for distance and near.
2) Sensitivity to light and glare.
3) Feeling of “Film” over the eyes.
4) Frequent changing of glasses.
FOLDABLE IN INTRAOCULAR LENSES
Cataract extraction by phaco emulsification through a 2.8mm incision and 1 mm incision, implanting a foldable & rollable intraocular lens respectively is a definite technological advancement and a giant leap towards technological excellence.
The lens is injected into the eye through a small opening and it opens up within the eye like a flower.
- Wound healing is very fast
- Wound stability is far better since the entire surgery in done through a very small keyhole opening.
- Induced astigmatism is minimal
- Decreases glare because of the superior surface quality of the lens.
MULTIFOCAL INTROCULAR LENSES
It is the latest advancement in cataract surgery by which the foldable intraocular lens takes care of distance vision, intermediate vision and nearvision. so that most often patient can perform all his activities without any external aid.
- It increases the depth of focus and enhances the quality of vision.
- Has all the advantages of Foldable intraocular lens.
- Is the first and only lens that can potentially restore a full range of vision for cataract patients.
Most cataract patients regain near normal vision through proper treatment. So it is upto you to
- Have your eyes examined regularly. Especially after the age of 40
- Recognize cataract symptoms.
- Seek prompt treatment.
- Consult your eye surgeon.
Only the eye surgeon can determine the type of lens best suited for the patient depending on the general health of the eye.
Facilities available at “OUR HOSPITAL” for diagnosis and treatment of cataract
- Slit lamp biomcroscope, applanation tonometer, indirect opthalmoscopy for thorough pre operative examination.
- Pre operative routine blood examination.
- Biomedix ultrasonic A-Scan.
- Topcon (Japan) operating microscope for micro surgical procedures.
- Phaco emulsification unit from storz (Bausch & Lomb)
- Zeiss YAG laser for capsulotomy.
CATARACT IS NOT A DISEASE
CATARACT CAN DEVELOP IN ALMOST ANYONE SOONER OR LATER
WITH THE ADVANCED PHACO EMULSIFICATION TECHNIQUE, SURGERY IS SAFE, SIMPLE AMBULATORY.
“HELPS YOU TO SEE THE WORLD MORE CLEARLY”
Features at Ammayi Eye hospital
- Phaco Emulsification
- Intraocular Lens
- Foldable IOL
- Multi Focal IOL
- Iridex Green Laser
- Zeiss Yag Laser
- Humpherey Visual field Analyzer
- A.Scan Biometry
- Computerised Refraction
- Contact Lens
- Glaucoma Surgery Squint
- Pediatric Opthalmology
- Cosmetic Opthalmology
- Neuro Opthalmology
Clinic : 044-24896175,24851560
Telefax : 044-24851560
Mail us : firstname.lastname@example.org